Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why you should switch energy-saver bulbs back to normal lights

This morning I fired up the Ford Expedition and set out to visit The Home Depot. Today is the day I decided to replace my light bulbs. I've got a giant house with dozens and dozens of light fixtures and I knew this was probably going to take a while.

A little background...I've begun to notice those energy-saver bulbs all over my home. The family room used to have a warm cozy feel where I could sit and drink beer for hours. Now it's cold and looks like my office. And the bathrooms...There was a time when I could sneak off to one of the guest commodes, read the paper and do my business under a glow that made a man's daily ritual feel like vacation. Now, with these energy-saver bulbs slowly replacing my regular light bulbs, the house has become dark and depressing.

So today was the day! Today I got rid of every single energy-saver bulb in the entire house. No more bright white, cafeteria lights for me. I've switched back to normal lights.

The only environmentally-friendly light I've decided to keep is the one in the garage. I've decided to keep the one in my garage because I keep my garage light on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. This light has been on consistently for almost a year and I want to see how long it will last.

9 comments:

Meg Q said...

Enjoy "conventional" bulbs while you can - Australia has just outlawed them, plans are moving forward here in Canada and down in the States to do the same within a couple of years.

I can just see it - the "lightbulb police" coming around to make sure everyone's compliant - and what happens to lightbulb jokes?

Great site, BTW, keep it up!

Metro said...

Stay tuned...we're going to have a bunch of fun with this.

ECM said...

Those things suck. I bought a box of four figuring they would last longer. I tried reading under one for about ten minutes before I switched back to a conventional bulb. I took them out to the desert and used them as targets. It's all they are good for.

Tamale Casa said...

THIS IS RIGHTEOUS! STICK IT TO 'EM LIKE THE KING YOU ARE! MAN, I AM PROUD TO BE A REGULAR COMMENTOR WITH THE OTHER REGULAR 2 COMMENTORZ ON HERE! WE ROKK!!!!!

FLCL2010 said...

Well thats just .... Halogen bulbs last longer shine brighter and save more money than conventional bulbs do. I have them in my intire house and its brighter than ever. I think its just your house man.

Unknown said...

Ever look at the environmental impact of these things? Yes they use much, much less electricity while they are operating, but take an inedible amount more to produce, contain mercury which is an environmental nightmare to get rid of (pray yours don't break!!!) and cost way more than the equivalent standard bulb. And they really only last about 2 to 3 times longer, but cost over 10x more.

Unknown said...

You hicks amaze me. You are so full of hate and ignorance, I hardly know where to begin. You are all going to hell- and I cannot wait until you get there and wonder why. What do you think Jesus would say about the t-shirt saying he can beat up Allah? You think Jesus would beat up anyone? Clearly, you know nothing of Jesus and what he stood for.
Enjoy the fire you ignorant hateful crackers

Jenni said...

if you had used the correct wattage and bought something other than white lightbulbs maybe you would have never noticed the switch. and if the white light bothered you so much you could have just had a couple more beers and never would have noticed anyways. peace out! solider for peace....

Anonymous said...

Consistently light has been on for almost a year and I want to see how long it will last...



Led Christmas Light